On March 31, 2014, the world will have to say goodbye to one of the greatest tv shows of the past nine years. Yes, I am talking about How I Met Your Mother.
This goodbye might be the hardest goodbye since we bid farewell to Ross, Rachel, and the rest of our Friends.
What are we supposed to do when we run out of the infinite wisdom of Ted, Barney, Robin, Marshall, and Lily?
Before this prolific show comes to a close, let us look back on some of the best advice ever given by someone other than our parents.
1. Nothing good happens after 2 a.m. – When, after downing a few drinks, you are suddenly struck with a “brilliant” idea, just remember very rarely does it turn out the way you want it if 2 a.m. has come and gone. This is the time to just sleep it off. If you wake up in the morning and the idea still sounds like a good one, go for it (but make certain you have completely sobered up first).
2. You can be friends with your ex, but it is very difficult – This should go without saying, but once you’ve dated someone, it is really hard to transition back into the “just friends” zone. However, if you care enough about the person and can let go of any feelings you might still have, it can be done.
3. Pause the fight – Thanks to Lily and Marshall, couples everywhere now have a new way to cope with arguments. Just press pause. Take some time to calm down, so neither one of you says (or yells) something you might regret. Once you are ready to resume the fight, unpause it. Sometimes you might find yourselves unable to even remember what the argument was about in the first place.
4. Suit up! – This should go without saying that when the time comes, you better be dressed for the occasion.
5. Girls can make good bros – Women can make the best “bros.” Don’t ever think that a woman can’t suit up and play laser tag with the guys. They can also drink scotch and smoke cigars with the best of them. Because women can do anything men can do.
6. Slap bets are the best bets – When in doubt, never bet with things like money or land deeds, use slaps instead. And if given the choice, take 10 slaps right in a row instead of 5 slaps that can be given out at any time from here to eternity.
Finally, you can take Barney’s advice from this season:
Don’t get married until you’re 30.
Play laser tag once a week.
Give at least as many high fives as you get.
Teacup pigs are lady magnets, but very hard to care for. Not worth the effort. The same goes for dogs and babies.
And most importantly, whatever you do in this life, it’s not legendary unless your friends are there to see it.
*Image courtesy of Google